Whether it is for commercial or personal use, walkie-talkies are versatile tools that can help maintain safety and productivity during the dark winter months. Choosing the right walkie-talkie for winter is important. After all, this being an Irish winter, there is a definite chance of rain!
So, waterproof radios should always be on the checklist. But what else do you need to look out for? What are the benefits of walkie-talkies? In this article, we look at the benefits of walkie-talkies and how to choose the best Motorola walkie-talkies for use in the wintertime.
Who can benefit from using walkie-talkies in the winter?
Walkie-talkies are versatile tools that have a multitude of uses all-year round. But the harsher weather conditions and poor light of winter mean that this time of year, the benefits of walkie-talkies are multiplied.
Amongst the many benefits of using walkie-talkies in the winter are:
- Increased safety – For those working outside during the winter months, the dangers caused by factors like poor weather conditions, reduced light, and difficult ground conditions are far greater. The instant communications and built-in safety measures in many walkie-talkie models can help keep you protected.
- Streamlined communications – Keeping communication lines open in all conditions is essential in many circumstances. From agriculture to sports events, all through the winter, events and work commitments don’t stop just because of the unpredictability of the season.
- Self-contained communications solution – Winter storms, and this year, potential fuel shortages, can play havoc with electricity supplies. Walkie-talkies are a self-contained solution that doesn’t rely on externally powered hardware like routers and mobile networks to function. If the power fails, communication is more essential than ever, and walkie-talkies can do just this!
TOP-TIP – Try to keep your walkie-talkies fully charged and, where possible, have spare batteries at the ready.
Walkie-talkies offer cost-effective and simple-to-use communications at the best of times. In the winter, the added benefits are immense, particularly when discussing the enhanced safety they offer. Amongst the many industries and domestic situations that can benefit from walkie-talkies in the winter are:
- Sports events
- Manufacturing plants
- Healthcare and education establishments
These are just a few of the common uses of walkie-talkies in the winter. But such is the versatility of two-way radios, there are a huge number of other situations and industries where walkie-talkies can be a massive boon in the wintertime.
What to look for when choosing walkie-talkies for winter use
The good news is that most walkie-talkie models will function quite happily in winter conditions. However, if you are looking for two-way radios that will be used heavily during the winter and whose continued functioning is essential, then there are some factors to look for when choosing your walkie-talkies.
Here are the main things to look for when choosing walkie-talkies that are “winter-proof.”
1. Waterproof and dustproof
Opting for a set that is waterproof and dustproof is essential for maintaining prolonged winter use. The former is of particular importance in Ireland, where it has been known to rain from time to time!
A great example of a cost-effective model that offers this is the Motorola XT460. This model is fully water and dustproof, with an IP55 Rating that will keep it operating in harsh conditions.
Look for radios that offer long-usage times on a single charge. Additionally, another factor to remember is that lithium-ion batteries tend to lose performance in colder temperatures. While these are still the best all-around performing batteries, it is important to account for this when choosing your radios.
Furthermore, for winter use, it may be beneficial to choose walkie-talkies where the batteries are easily replaceable. This enables continued usage should the power fail or if lower-than-average temperatures have affected the performance.
One example of a radio that offers great battery life, and easy interchange of batteries is the Hytera TC320 which provides up to 10hrs of operation on a single charge.
Another factor to consider when looking for the ideal winter walkie-talkie is the range it can broadcast over. Most walkie-talkies will offer a range of a few kilometres. However, the maximum range quoted is always for ideal conditions. Firstly, obstacles can hamper the maximum range of a set of walkie-talkies.
However, in the winter months, atmospheric conditions can also restrict the optimum range. The takeaway from this is that if the range is important when choosing your radio, opt for a set that offers a maximum range rated higher than you require.
4. Safety Features
Many walkie-talkies have built-in features that can be essential for maintaining safety in the winter months. Amongst the features that are available in many models are:
- Lone Worker – This is designed to make sure that automatic alerts are broadcast should a lone worker be in trouble.
- Man down – This feature uses sensors to detect movement that could mean someone has fallen.
- Emergency button – As the name suggests, this is a prominent button that can be used if someone gets into trouble.
Walkie-talkies are a valuable tool and safety aid, and at no time is this more apparent than during the wintertime. Many walkie-talkie models are robust enough not just to survive the harsh conditions but to continue to function flawlessly come rain, hail, sleet, or snow!
If you need any more advice to help you choose the perfect winter walkie-talkie, Lynn Communications can help. Our knowledgeable and friendly staff have years of experience in helping people choose the right two-way radio solution.
Why not contact us today and help us make sure you are geared up correctly for the winter months?